As a general dentistry, we care for families whose ages range from children as young as 6 months old, or when their first tooth erupts – to adults of all ages. It is especially important for your child to see a Dentist regularly so that they can receive preventive care – but there are other benefits as well.
Why is it important for your child to see the Dentist
Statistics from the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) indicate that 20% of children aged between 5 and 11 have at least one untreated decayed tooth, with 13% for adolescents aged 12-19. Another study also states that children with poor oral hygiene were three times more likely to miss school because of dental pain.
Improper dental care can leave your children with a host of dental problems like bad breath, tooth decay, and gum disease, which may lead to a lifetime of discomfort and complications. Even babies are susceptible to oral issues like dental caries. Children’s dentistry provides the best conditions to address such dental conditions in children.
What Benefits Will Your Child Get from Routine Dental Visits?
Taking your child on regular visits to a dentist will:
- Identify and address early signs of tooth decay and bad breath and produce suggestions on nutrition, diet, and brushing habits.
- Offer essential preventive dental care services like cleaning and fluoride treatments.
- Bring to light measures you should adopt in addressing common child-specific issues like pacifier usage, thumb sucking, and baby bottle tooth decay.
- Identify and treat dental injuries like displaced and knocked-out teeth.
- Assess and recommend treatment strategies like wearing braces that cater to varying degrees of sensitive issues like protruding teeth and an improper bite.
- Identify and manage signs of periodontal diseases like loose or receding teeth, sore gums, and mild gingivitis.
How Often Should Your Child See the Dentist?
The AAPD recommends that babies see a dentist before their first birthday. This is because early childhood caries is the most widespread chronic infectious disease of childhood. A survey revealed that 36% of parents believe their young children should see a dentist only once a year. However, many dentists and leading toothpaste brands like Colgate recommend a bi-annual visit plan to ensure that your child’s dental health is always in optimum condition.
Why Should You Choose VIP Smiles?
Here at VIP smiles, we have a team of competent and experienced dentists that are pleased to welcome parents and their children of all ages to our practice. Our variety of treatment plans help your kids achieve and maintain good oral health.
Visit our website https://www.syracuseutdentistry.com/ to find out more.